If you uninstall the TaxSlayer Pro program for a given year, bear in mind that all returns will be removed and permanently deleted if you both remove the program and delete the TaxSlayer Pro folders.
- If you are removing the program for the purpose of freeing up space on your hard drive, take into consideration that the files contained within the TaxSlayer folder are relatively small in size and deleting them will not create a significant amount of free space on your hard drive.
- While current TaxSlayer Pro customers can download and install programs for the current and five prior tax years from their Account Hub, programs older than five years are not available for download. Consider keeping older programs installed on at least one PC so that you can access returns for clients being audited or who need their return amended or reprinted. (Tax return data files are encrypted and are unreadable by any other software.)
- If you are permanently removing the program from your hard drive, consider printing all tax returns you have filed to PDF and saving them. These PDFs will be an invaluable resource should they be needed for yourself or your clients in the future.
Are you reinstalling after uninstalling?
If you plan to reinstall the program after uninstalling, please call us before uninstalling so we can create a ticket for our tech support staff to assist you. They can help you determine if uninstalling is the best course of action, and they can also help you get back up and running with minimal downtime and minimize the risk of losing data. This is especially important with program years beyond three years prior, as return acknowledgements are unavailable beyond then.
For these instructions, xx equals the 2-digit year you are uninstalling, and the navigation steps assume you are using Windows 10 or 11.
Uninstalling TaxSlayer Pro
Step 1: Stop the background service.
- Open Task Manager
- Click the Services tab. (If it's not visible, click "More details".)
- Right-click "TaxProgram20xx" for the year you are uninstalling and select "Stop".
- Close Task Manager.
Step 2: Uninstall the program.
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu and choose Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Select 20xx TaxSlayer Pro, then Uninstall.
Step 3: Remove the TaxSlayer Pro folders.
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu and choose File Explorer.
- Navigate to This PC > Local Disk (C:) > TaxSlayer (your C drive may be called something different than "Local Disk".)
- Right-click the 20xxNet folder and choose Delete.
- Right-click the rcscfg20xx folder and choose Delete.
- If it exists, right-click 20xxPDFS and choose Delete.