If you uninstall the TaxSlayer Pro program for a given year, bear in mind that all returns will be removed and permanently deleted if you both remove the program and delete the TaxSlayer Pro folders.
- If you are removing the program for the purpose of freeing up space on your hard drive, take into consideration that the files contained within the TaxSlayer folder are relatively small in size and deleting them will not create a significant amount of free space on your hard drive.
- While current TaxSlayer Pro customers can download and install programs for the current and five prior tax years from their Account Hub, programs older than five years are not available for download. Consider keeping older programs installed on at least one PC so that you can access returns for clients being audited or who need their return amended or reprinted. (Tax return data files are encrypted and are unreadable by any other software.)
Click the year for the instructions
2014 and forward uninstall instructions
For these instructions, xx equals the 2-digit year you are uninstalling, and the commands assume you are using Windows 10 or 11.
Do you plan to reinstall? If so and you have prepared any returns, in Windows File Explorer move the Data folder out of the 20xxNet folder before doing the below procedure, so that the return Data won't be deleted. (You can move it to your Desktop, for example.)
- Open Task Manager
- Click the Services tab. (If it's not visible, click "More details".)
- Right-click "TaxProgram20xx" for the year you are uninstalling and select "Stop". (Windows won't let you uninstall a program with a running background service.)
- Close Task Manager.
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu and choose Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Select 20xx TaxSlayer Pro, then Uninstall.
- After uninstallation is complete, right-click the Windows Start Menu and choose File Explorer.
- Navigate to This PC > Local Disk (C:) > TaxSlayer (your C drive may be called something different than "Local Disk".)
- Right-click the 20xxNet folder and choose Delete.
- Right-click the rscfg20xx folder and choose Delete.
Note: If you wish to reinstall TaxSlayer Pro from scratch, you can now do so.
2006-2013 uninstall instructions
- Open the Computer Management Screen (My Computer or Computer depending on the computer's operating system).
- Double-click the drive letter that contains the program and locate the TaxSlayer folder. (This is usually on the C drive.)
- Double-click the TaxSlayer folder. You will notice separate folders for each of the years you have installed).
- Right-click each folder and select Delete.
Note: If you are removing every year that is installed, you can right-click the TaxSlayer folder and select Delete after uninstalling each year.
2005 and prior uninstall instructions
You will need to locate and delete the folders listed below. These folders are located on the drive where the TaxSlayer Pro programs are installed.
||5. XXNETBCK (if on a Network)
||6. XXRCSNET (if deleting files from the transmitting computer)
NOTE: XX or 20XX represents the year, i.e., 05 or 2005. To locate these folders:
- Open Computer Management (My Computer or Computer depending on the computer's operating system)
- Double-click the C Drive (or the drive where the program is installed).
- With the Ctrl key held down on your keyboard, click once on each of the above folders to select them. When you have finished selecting all of the folders that you wish to delete, release the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
- Right-click the group of highlighted folders and select Delete.
Backing Up Tax Returns
Backing Up the TaxSlayer Pro Program