In TaxSlayer Pro, return data is stored on your local hard drive (to the "Installation Path" directory specified in the Path Menu in Configuration). Backing up return data to removable media such as a thumb drive or external hard drive is recommended on a daily basis, and this can be done in two ways:
- You can initiate the backup process
- You can have returns automatically back up to a secondary backup. Click here for more information about setting up a secondary backup path.
Backing Up Returns
To back up returns, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Backup Returns
- Select the Drive to Use for Backup - Select the drive letter. If you don't know the letter Windows has assigned to the drive, open a Windows File Explorer window and determine the drive letter there.
- Select Clients to Backup - select Check All to backup all returns, or you can select returns individually. When finished, select Ok
The selected returns will be copied to the selected drive. Depending on the speed of your computer, the speed of the drive, and the number of returns, the backup can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to complete.
Note: Backing up returns only backs up return data. Scanned documents associated with a return, if any, aren't included in the backup.
To recall returns from a backup, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Recall Returns
- Select the Directory to Recall Returns From - Select the drive letter. (You will see the directory path \TaxSlayer\20xxNet\Data.), then Ok.
- Select Clients to Recall - select Check All to restore all the returns, or select one or more individual returns to recall as needed. Note: If any return being recalled already exists on this computer, before selecting Ok select the Overwrite Existing Returns check box if you wish to overwrite the existing return with the return recalled from backup.
- Select Ok
- If you didn't check the overwrite check box and a return being recalled already exists, you will be asked to confirm that you'd like to continue. Answer YES to overwrite the existing return, or answer NO to not recall the return from the backup.
- The last step involves repairing the main client list so that it will show the recalled return(s). From the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Repair Tax Return Pick List