- Prepare and mail organizers for prior year clients
- Prepare letters, coupons, and any other items to be mailed to clients
- Preseason scheduling
- Develop a marketing strategy
- Apply for new EFIN(s) if necessary, e.g., additional locations or this is a new tax prep business.
If your EFIN is changing, please fax the new EFIN letter from the IRS to us at 706.868.1955. Also, please follow up with a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org, informing us of the change and including the old EFIN, the new EFIN, and the reason for the change.
- Renew PTIN. This is an IRS annual requirement.
- Obtain IRS Tracking Number from IRS e-Services.
State – Familiarize yourself with:
- State e-filing mandates.
- Your state’s requirements for bank products.
- Requirements for filing extensions.
- Requirements for filing business returns.
- State tax law changes for 2020.
Getting Ready for the New Season
- Purchase TaxSlayer Pro software for 2020.
- Verify your firm info in Account Hub, updating it as needed.
- First year customers: Contact Sales to complete conversion agreement.
- First year customers: Contact TaxSlayer Pro Support to arrange for prior year data to be converted so that it can be pulled forward into new returns in the current year.
- Purchase the TaxBook WebLibrary for use with the 2020 TaxSlayer Pro software.
- Familiarize yourself with all bank products and related bank fees.
- Familiarize yourself with ancillary products; some can be offered with or without bank products.
- Complete a bank application or opt out of offering bank products.
Office and Computer Equipment
- Back up the TaxSlayer folder to removable media, such as a thumb drive or portable hard drive. This can be done by dragging and dropping in Windows File Explorer, or you can use the backup utility in TaxSlayer Pro. See our knowledgebase article here for more info.
- Compare our minimum and recommended system requirements here against your computer hardware and upgrade computers as needed. If you do purchase a new computer, contact TaxSlayer Pro support to schedule one of our technical support representatives to assist with data migration.
- Check the C drive on your computers, which is typically where TaxSlayer Pro is installed, to ensure you're not running out of storage space.
- Run Windows Updates on all computers to ensure all security updates and service packs are installed. However, if your computer's operating system is older and no longer supported by Microsoft, we can't provide support as well. See our knowledgebase article here for more info.
- If they have expired, renew subscriptions to anti-virus/firewall software. Exclusions for TaxSlayer Pro may need to be set.
- Test printers. If you print to PDF first, then to paper, does the PDF print?
- Order office supplies such as paper and toner. Have extra toner on hand.
- Premium and ProWeb users: Test the document scanner and signature pad for use with TaxSlayer Pro.
- Test internet connection for speed and reliability. Wired is typically better than wireless in terms of both speed and stability.
- Train employees on computer policies and equipment use.
- Familiarize yourself with tax law changes, including current phase out limits.
- Know the EITC Compliance Requirements.
Bank Products, if using
- Ensure your bank application is approved.
- Log in to the bank's website, learn where things are such as reports and check printing.
- Complete bank compliance requirements as needed (varies by bank).
- Order check stock and card stock from the bank.
- Print a test check, ensuring the print is aligned.
TaxSlayer Pro Network, if using
For best results and an easier installation, your office network should be set up prior to installing TaxSlayer Pro. This should be completed by your local IT Technician/Professional.
- If possible, hardwire all computers to the network to ensure stable and secure connection.
- Read our knowledgebase article here on networking TaxSlayer Pro. If you need assistance, contact us. (Note that you don't have to wait for your 2020 software to get prior year TaxSlayer Pro programs installed and networked. Getting prior years configured and working properly will make installation of the current year's software easier.)
- If you use a network printer, ensure all computers can print to it.
TaxSlayer Pro Desktop Software
- Ensure all preparers have been added in Configuration and that their assigned security role is appropriate.
- Review your fees in the Fee Setup Menu under Configuration.
- Indicate your bank, or if you're not using a bank, in the Bank Setup menu under Configuration.
- Premium users: Configure Premium Options:
- PaperCut Paperless Office
- Email configuration
- Signature pad, if using
- Twilio text messaging, if using
- Train employees on how to use TaxSlayer Pro.
- Create practice returns.
- Transmit practice returns to ensure your computer is communicating with TaxSlayer Pro.
- Download and install all federal and state updates for each prior year program.
TaxSlayer ProWeb Software
- Update information in Account Hub, including the IRS Tracking Number
- First-year customers: Convert any data from prior year to TaxSlayer Pro
- Contact Sales to complete the conversion agreement
- Contact TaxSlayer Pro Technical Support to convert prior year data
- Update Office Configuration
- Make changes to firm and ERO information as needed
- Add preparers and edit existing preparers as needed
- Set up Preparer Security and Preparer Roles
- Determine fee structure and set up fees in the Fee Setup Menu
- Upgrade computers as needed and update browser software.
- Run Windows Updates to ensure all operating system security updates and service packs are installed on all computers
- Become familiar with program changes and enhancements.
- Explore the TaxSlayer Pro Knowledgebase and, if purchased, The Tax Book.
- Train staff to use and navigate TaxSlayer Pro software.
- Create practice returns.
- Set up your TaxesToGo mobile app.
- Subscribe to the TaxSlayer Pro Support Blog.