The ERO's EFIN plus PIN is their electronic signature used on Form 8879. The first six numbers of the ERO PIN is the EFIN, and it must match the EFIN in the Submission ID. The remaining five digits can be any numbers except all zeros. For consistency, EROs are encouraged to use the same 11-number PIN on all returns for a filing season.
To automatically generate the ERO PIN on Form 8879, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Firm/ERO/Preparer Setup
- Preparer(s) Menu
- Select the Preparer and select Edit.
- Enter the desired five-digit PIN on the Preparer Practitioner PIN line.
Note: Form 8879 is for your files. Do not send the form to the IRS unless requested to do so. You will need to retain the completed Form 8879 for three (3) years from the return due date or IRS received date, whichever is later.
Form 8879 is generally included in the print options under the View Results menu, but to print the form by itself from the Main Menu of the Tax Return (Form 1040) select:
- Mark Return Electronic:
- If the return hasn't already been marked for e-file, select the return type.
- If the return has already been marked for e-file, select Signature Authorization
- Click the View icon at the top of the window (a black magnifying glass prior to 2019)..
From the Main Menu of the Tax Return (Form 1040) select:
- View Results
- Double-click Form 8879