The initial release of the TaxSlayer Pro program does not include the state programs. You will need to download and install each state program you need as it becomes available during the first few weeks of January.
On a daily basis throughout the year you will want to check for state updates on a daily basis to ensure that the state programs are up-to-date. Being up-to-date on state programs helps avoid rejects and calculation errors.
Upon startup and before the login window is displayed, TaxSlayer Pro will download and install updates for the main program, federal program, and your state's program automatically.
You can also download and install a state update manually as follows:
- From the Quick Menu select Updates
- In the Internet Update Utility, select Download/Install Updates. A state highlighted in red indicates that it has either not been installed or that an update is available.
- Click any state that you want to install. When you do, its color will change from red to gray. To install all that are highlighted in red, click the Check All Needed check box.
- Select Download
Caveats if you work in a networked environment with multiple computers using TaxSlayer Pro:
- If one computer functions as the File Server and Transmitting Computer (the typical scenario), the Workstation computers get their updates from that computer. Therefore, it is important to download and install updates on the File Server/Transmitting Computer first. Thereafter, update the Workstations, either by starting the program on the Workstation or by selecting Updates from the Main Menu.
- If one computer functions as the File Server and another computer functions as the Transmitting Computer, it is best to download and install updates on the File Server first, then update the Transmitting Computer, then update the Workstations, either by starting the program on the Workstation or by selecting Updates from the Main Menu.
To retrieve updates manually on a workstation, select Updates in the Quick Menu. Available updates will be retrieved from the File Server and installed.
Configuring States to Automatically Update
Some preparers prefer to configure the software to automatically update all the states or just the states they are interested when starting the program, so that they can always be ready for any client. To configure which states to update automatically upon starting the software:
- From the Quick Menu select Updates.
- In the Internet Update Utility, select Configure Updates.
- Select the states that you wish to have automatically updated when you start the program.
Note: The more states that are selected to automatically update, the longer the startup process takes and the longer it will take for the program to get to the login window. The tradeoff, however, is that you are ensuring you do not fall behind on updates.