TaxSlayer Pro uses a Windows Service that runs in the background to move information between the file server and workstation computers. The service must be running on all computers in order for the program to function properly. If the service stops or becomes disabled, you will receive a message:
To correct the issue you must restart the tax program service. Before restarting the service, dismiss the warning message and close the program.
Open Windows Task Manager. There are several ways this can be done:
- Press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to bring up the Windows Security window. Click Task Manager.
- Right-click the Windows Taskbar and click Task Manager.
- Use the Windows search tool and type Task Manager in the search box, then select it.
If the Task Manager opens a small window with a list of open programs with no details, click More Details. In the
- In the Task Manager window, click Services in the left menu.
- Click Open Services in the menu above the list of services.
- Locate Tax Program Service 20xx (xx being the program year in which you are receiving the warning message)
If the Status column does not indicate the service is running, right-click the Service and choose Start. Most likely this will resolve the problem.
If the Startup Type column indicates either Disabled or Manual, you will need to change the startup type before restarting the service as follows:
- Double-click the service to open its Properties window.
- Change the Startup type to Automatic, then click the Start button:
If the service fails to start or frequently stops running, call TaxSlayer Pro support for assistance at 706.868.0985.