In TaxSlayer Pro, return data is stored on your local hard drive (to the "Installation Path" directory specified in the Path Menu in Configuration). Backing up return data to removable media such as a thumb drive or external hard drive is recommended on a daily basis, and this can be done in two ways:
- You can initiate the backup process
- You can have returns automatically back up to a secondary backup. Click here for more information about setting up a secondary backup path.
Note: If you're using TaxSlayer Pro in a networked environment, returns can only be backed up on the PC designated as the file server.
Backing Up Returns
To back up returns, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Backup Returns
- Select the Drive to Use for Backup - Select the drive letter. If you don't know the letter Windows has assigned to the drive, open a Windows File Explorer window and determine the drive letter there.
- Select Clients to Backup - select Check All to backup all returns, or you can select returns individually. When finished, select Ok
The selected returns will be copied to the selected drive. Depending on the speed of your computer, the speed of the drive, and the number of returns, the backup can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to complete.
Note: Backing up returns only backs up return data. Scanned documents associated with a return, if any, aren't included in the backup.
To recall returns from a backup, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Recall Returns
- Select the Directory to Recall Returns From - Select the drive letter. (You will see the directory path \TaxSlayer\20xxNet\Data.), then Ok.
- Select Clients to Recall - select Check All to restore all the returns, or select one or more individual returns to recall as needed. Note: If any return being recalled already exists on this computer, before selecting Ok select the Overwrite Existing Returns check box if you wish to overwrite the existing return with the return recalled from backup.
- Select Ok
- If you didn't check the overwrite check box and a return being recalled already exists, you will be asked to confirm that you'd like to continue. Answer YES to overwrite the existing return, or answer NO to not recall the return from the backup.
- The last step involves repairing the main client list so that it will show the recalled return(s). From the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Repair Tax Return Pick List
In the recall step, if you don't see the path to the data directory listed, you may be in the wrong year's program. Returns backed up in one year's program only restore to that year.
In either the backup or recall step, if you don't see the backup drive available to be selected, either the backup drive hasn't been inserted or Windows doesn't recognize it. Open a Windows File Explorer window and verify the drive is visible there and can be double-clicked to open it.