With TaxSlayer Pro Premium, you can capture preparer and taxpayer signatures electronically. This allows you to quickly get return documents signed either remotely or in your office and without paper and pen.
Creating an electronic signature in your office requires a signature pad. Two signature pads have been tested for compatibility with TaxSlayer Pro:
There are many other signature pad models, but they haven't been tested for compatibility and so aren't guaranteed to work with the program.
Note: Electronic signatures are only supported on individual tax returns, not business tax returns.
The preparer's signature is stored in their record in Configuration and will be printed on every return they create. To set the preparer's signature, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Firm/ERO/Preparer Setup
- Preparer(s) Menu - Select a preparer from the list.
- Preparer Signature - If you don't see this option, ensure the signature pad is connected to the computer and that Windows recognizes it.
- The preparer should sign their name in the signature box on the screen using the pad.
The taxpayer's signature can be captured with the signature pad in the office, or it can be gotten remotely via Taxes to Go or the Customer Portal.
To capture the taxpayer's signature in the office, from the Main Menu of the tax return select:
- Exit (below the left side menu)
- In the Receipt menu, select Document Signature Manager.
- You will see a list of forms with an area to add the taxpayer's signature. Click to bring up the signature box.
- The taxpayer should sign their name in the signature box using the pad. If the return is being filed MFJ, the spouse should sign their name as well.
To capture signatures remotely with Taxes to Go or the Customer Portal, refer to the articles below: