TaxSlayer ProWeb allows preparers to use a signature pad to capture their and the taxpayer's signatures electronically and apply it to all the forms that support electronic signatures. Support for electronic signatures varies between states and between banks.
What Kind of Signature Pad Should I Use?
Topaz Systems and Scriptel signature pads are supported in the TaxSlayer ProWeb Program. The pads are connected to the computer through a USB port. We have tested two signature pads for compatibility, and if you shop around should be able to purchase either new for about $100:
There are many other signature pad models, but they haven't been tested for compatibility and so aren't guaranteed to work with the program.
Where Do I Set Up My Signature Pad in ProWeb?
ProWeb configuration depends on which pad you are using:
- The Scriptel signature pad needs no configuration in ProWeb, but you do need to download and install ScripTouch Sign and Save, and if you're using TaxSlayer Pro desktop software as well as ProWeb you'll need ScripTouch Toolbox. See here for information for how to download and install this software from Scriptel.
- The Topaz signature pad requires their SigWeb software to be installed. See here for information for how to download and install. ProWeb configuration also needs to know that you're using a Topaz signature pad. To do this, from the Welcome page of TaxSlayer ProWeb select:
- Office Setup
- Under Office Configuration, check the box indicating that you are using a Topaz signature pad:
After getting the signature pad set up, you will be able to use it instead of the mouse for both the preparer's signature and the taxpayer's signature.
Where Do Preparers Set Up Their Signatures in ProWeb?
Preparer signatures are captured in the Preparer Setup Menu. To get there, from the Welcome page of TaxSlayer ProWeb select:
- Preparer Setup
- Select the preparer
- Scroll to the bottom and look for the button labeled Electronically Sign.
Where Does the Taxpayer Sign With a Signature Pad in ProWeb?
Tax returns being e-filed are signed on the Submission Page.
With ProWeb, you and the taxpayer only need to sign once and the signature shows on each form that requires the signature, i.e.:
- Form 8878
- Form 8879
- IRC 7216 Consent Form
- Bank Application (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group)
NOTE: If an electronic signature is not accepted on a particular form by either the state, the bank, or the IRS, there will not be an option to add an electronic signature on that form.
Topaz Installation & Help Guide to use for troubleshooting (click the link below)