Returns prepared in the desktop version of TaxSlayer Pro can be imported into ProWeb, however only limited data is imported. See the attached PDF for a description of what data is imported.
To import a return from the desktop version of TaxSlayer Pro into ProWeb:
- Log in to your ProWeb account on the same computer that the desktop version of TaxSlayer Pro is on. In an office where TaxSlayer Pro is being used in a network, this should be on the PC designated as the File Server.
- At the Welcome page, select Change Tax Year at the top of the window and choose the tax year that you are importing from.
- Select Import Desktop Returns
- Import the return using either of two ways:
- Select from a file list
- Click the "Drop files to upload" box.
- In the File Explorer window, navigate here:
This PC > Local Disk (C:) > TaxSlayer > 20xxNet > Data,
where xx is the two-digit tax year.
(Your C drive may be labeled differently than "Local Disk".)
- Click, drag, and drop the desired return onto the "Drop files to upload" box. Or, you can double-click the desired return. Multiple returns can also be imported by selecting each one with the Ctrl key depressed, and once all are selected click Open.
- Open a Windows File Explorer window and navigate to the TaxSlayer Pro directory where the returns are located. Generally this is C:\TaxSlayer\20xxNet\Data\, where xx is the two-digit tax year.
- Click, drag, and drop the return onto the "Drop files to upload" box.
Tax return data files are encrypted, and the file name provides no clue as to who the return is for. Additionally, anything other than an individual tax return will not be imported and will show as if an error has occurred. This applies to business returns as well as any stray error or autosave files.
If, when looking at the File Explorer window, you are in doubt about what to import, contact our support staff for assistance.