In TaxSlayer Pro, the Fees / Billing Setup Menu is where fees and other invoice-related controls are set. To access this menu, from the main menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Fees / Billing Setup
Fee Setup Menu
This menu lists every federal and state form, schedule, and worksheet supported in TaxSlayer Pro, in addition to other documents produced as part of the tax return package. Any item can be assigned a fee if desired, and when the item is included in a tax return its fee will be added to the return invoice.
To assist with navigating through the list, the forms displayed in the list can be narrowed to either Federal or State individual or business return forms using the circular buttons at the top of the list. For example, to see the Michigan individual return forms, click State Forms, enter MI, and press Enter. To see the entire list again, click All Forms.
A checkbox and several buttons are at the bottom of the window:
- Charge by the Hour - if checked, returns will be billed according to the number of minutes spent in the return multiplied by the preparer's hourly rate as specified in Preparer Configuration. Hourly billing overrides the calculation based on the fees for individual forms. Also, within a particular return, hourly billing can be turned off or on in the Receipt Menu after exiting the return.
- Print - the list of fees that have been set can be printed, to paper or PDF as specified in the Printer Preferences.
- Set Range - If the forms in a particular numerical range in the list are to all have the same fee, you can use this button to set that group of fees in one move rather than entering them individually.
- Increase/Decrease - Use this button to increase or decrease the fees in the list by the percentage you specify. A typical use for this button is after pulling in prior year fees.
- Pull Prior Year Fees - Click this button to pull in the same fees as were set last year, if any. Using this will save time over re-entering them individually.
- Custom Fees and Custom Discounts - See here for more information about these two buttons.
After you have finished editing the fees menu, select Exit to return to the Fees / Billing Setup Menu.
Do You Want to Generate a Printed Receipt?
If set to Yes, a four-part receipt will print upon marking a return Complete.
Increment the Receipt Numbers Automatically?
If set to Yes, the software will increment receipt numbers. If set to No, you will be prompted to enter a receipt number within each return when marked complete.
Last Receipt Number Written
This field shows the last receipt number that was printed and allows you to enter a new number, from which subsequent receipts will be incremented.
Recalculate Fees as per Default Fees?
If set to Yes, fees are recalculated each time a return is exited. If set to No, the fees in a return remain the same as when they were initially added to the return.
Software Tech Fee
This menu displays the Bank Transmission Fee, if any, and the Technology Fee, as specified in Account Hub. If you know it has changed in your Account Hub, or to ensure it is correct, click Bank Transmission Fee and the current fee will be pulled into the software.
Document Preparation Fee
This menu displays Document Preparation Fee, if any as specified in Account Hub. If you know it has changed in your Account Hub, or to ensure it is correct, click Pull Document Preparation Fee from TaxSlayer Pro and the current fee will be pulled into the software.
Advanced Fee Setup
See here for information about the items under this menu.