Every preparer will have his/her own username and password. This is created by the ERO/Office Administrator. The password may be changed by the preparer the first time he/she logs into the account, but the username may not be changed after it is created.
Note: We suggest setting up Security Templates prior to setting up preparers. For information on how to set up Security Templates, please reference the article Setting up Security Templates.
To set up or add a preparer in TaxSlayer ProWeb, from the Welcome page select:
- Preparer Setup
- +ADD PREPARER at the bottom of the page
- The SSN is not required
- Enter First & Last Name
- The Default PIN Number is a 5 digit number that will represent the preparer’s signature
- 2848 CAF Number - Enter the preparer's IRS-issued CAF number if they are authorized to file Form 2848, Power of Attorney
- Enter PTIN/SIDN or check Data Entry Only, no PTIN required
- Check Office Contact if applicable
- Check Self Employed if applicable
- Check Can view own returns only if you want the preparer to be limited to his/her returns only
- Check Required to use Guide for preparers that are not as knowledgeable with taxes or the program. If checked, within a return the preparer will be guided through the Income and Deductions Menus with step-by-step questions.
- If the preparer will prepare one or more New York state tax returns, they must be registered with the state. Check Prepares NY returns and enter either the NYTPRIN or select a NYTPRIN Exempt Code. (See here for more information about the New York Tax Preparer Identification Number.)
- If the preparer will preparer Oregon state tax returns, they must be registered with the state. Check Prepares OR returns and enter the OR license number.
Preparer Agent Information:
If the preparer is an authorized IRS Acceptance Agent, enter their Title, Company Name, Office Code and IRS Agreement Date. This information will pull to Form W-7, Application for an ITIN.
- Email Address and Cell Phone Number are required for Multi-Factor Authentication - Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) acts as another step in security for protecting your account. During login, you will be required to verify yourself either by sending a code to your email address or texted to your cell phone number. Please verify this information is correct before continuing.
- Create a Username for the preparer - The username CANNOT be changed once created and saved.
- Create a Password Once this is created, the Preparer Menu will no longer show the password. If the preparer forgets his/her password, the preparer will need to click Forgot Password on the Login screen and follow the prompts.
- The Active checkbox will need to be checked to allow the preparer to login to the program
- The Security Template allows you to set restrictions on the preparer, limiting what they are allow to do in the program
- Click Continue when finished
- Click Return to go back to Configuration Main Menu
The Flip Active Status button on the Preparer(s) Menu will change every active preparer to inactive, including yourself. It is important to only flip active status when it is necessary, otherwise you risk being locked out of your account. If this happens, you will need to call support for assistance. To avoid being locked out, the ERO should make themselves active immediately after flipping all preparer's statuses to inactive.