In TaxSlayer ProWeb, every preparer has a unique username and password, both created by the ERO or office administrator. The preparer can change the password if they wish, but the username cannot be changed.
Note: If you're utilizing security templates to manage preparers' abilities, we suggest setting up security templates prior to setting up preparers so the templates will be ready to assign. See here for information on security templates.
To add a preparer in TaxSlayer ProWeb, from the Welcome page:
- Select Configuration
- Select Preparer Setup
- Click +ADD PREPARER at the top or bottom of the page. There are three sections to complete:
Preparer Personal Information
- SSN - The SSN is optional.
- First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name - Enter the preparer's name (middle initial is optional).
- Default PIN Number - The 5-digit PIN will be used on federal and state e-file signature authorization forms.
- 2848 CAF Number - Enter the preparer's IRS-issued CAF number, if they have been assigned one. This will be used on Form 2848, Power of Attorney. See here for more information about the CAF.
- PTIN or SIDN - Enter the preparer's PTIN (letter P followed by 8 digits).
- Data Entry Only, no PTIN Required - If a preparer doesn't have a PTIN, check this box.
- Office Contact? - Check or don't check as desired. For your internal use only.
- Self-Employed - Check if applicable. This is a check box on Form 1040 and has relevance to a few state returns, notably Illinois.
- Can view own returns only - Check if you want a preparer to be limited to working on their returns only.
- Required to use Guide - With this box checked, the preparer will be guided through each of the Income and Deductions menus with step-by-step questions. This is useful for preparers that are not as knowledgeable with tax preparation or with ProWeb.
- Prepares NY returns - If the preparer will prepare one or more New York state tax returns, they must either be registered with the state or be exempt from the registration requirement. Check and enter either their NYTPRIN or select a NYTPRIN Exempt Code. (See here for more information about the New York Tax Preparer Identification Number.)
- Prepares OR returns - If the preparer will preparer Oregon state tax returns, they must be registered with the state. Check and enter the OR license number.
Preparer Agent Information
If the preparer is an authorized IRS Acceptance Agent, enter their Title, Company Name, Office Code and IRS Agreement Date. This information will pull to Form W-7, Application for an ITIN.
The preparer's e-mail address and cell phone number are important as they are used for multi-factor authentication (MFA). Everyone logging in to your office has their identity authenticated by having a code sent to either their e-mail address or to their cell phone via SMS, thus these two bits of contact info must be entered accurately.
- Email Address - Enter the preparer's e-mail address. If more than one preparer is using this address, check the "Allow multiple accounts to use this Email Address" check box.
- Cell Phone Number - Enter the preparer's mobile phone number.
- Username - Create a username for the preparer. If the username you have selected is already in use, you'll be told after clicking the blue CONTINUE button and you'll need to create a different one. Additionally, once a username has been created and saved it cannot be changed.
- Password - Enter the preparer's password. The preparer will be able to change it if desired by clicking "Forgot Password" at the login window.
- Active - This check box will need to be checked to allow the preparer to log in to ProWeb. If unchecked, they won't be able to log in.
- Security Template - If you're using security templates, select the template to assign to this preparer in the drop down menu.
When you're finished with the new preparer record, click the blue Continue button to return to the Preparer(s) Menu.
Flip Active Status button
The "Flip Active Status" button on the Preparer(s) Menu will change every active preparer to inactive except for you. This button is intended to be used at the end of the tax season to easily make all the preparers who are finished for the year inactive, disabling their ability to log in. If you accidentally make a preparer inactive who should be active, select "Inactive" or "Show All" in the Status drop down menu, locate the preparer, and check their "Active" check box.