Every preparer will have his/her own username and password. This is created by the ERO/Office Administrator. The password may be changed by the preparer the first time he/she logs into the account, but the username may not be changed after it is created.
NOTE: It is suggested to set up Security Templates prior to setting up preparers. For information on how to set up Security Templates, please reference the article Setting up Security Templates.
To setup or add a preparer, click Select next to Configuration:
- Click Select next to Preparer Setup
- Click +Add at the bottom of the page
- The SSN is not required
- Enter First & Last Name
- The Default PIN Number is a 5 digit number that will represent the preparer’s signature
- Enter PTIN/SIDN or check Data Entry Only, no PTIN required
- Check Office Contact if applicable
- Check Self Employed if applicable
- Check Can view own returns only if you want the preparer to be limited to his/her returns only
- Check Required to use Guide for preparer’s that are not as knowledgeable with taxes or the program. Within the return, the Income and Deductions Menu will only allow the option to Guide Me. This gives step-by-step questions to assist in completing the tax return.
- Check Prepares NY returns and enter the NYTPRIN or select a NYTPRIN Exempt Code
- Email Address and Cell Phone Number are required for Multi-Factor Authentication - Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) acts as another step in security for protecting your account. During login, you will be required to verify yourself either by sending a code to your email address or texted to your cell phone number. Please verify this information is correct before continuing.
- Create a Username
- Create a Password Once this is created, the Preparer Menu will no longer show the password. If the preparer forgets his/her password, the preparer will need to click Forgot Password on the Login screen and follow the prompts.
- The Active checkbox will need to be checked to allow the preparer to login to the program
- The Security Template allows you to set restrictions on the preparer, limiting what they are allow to do in the program
- Click Continue when finished
- Click Return to go back to Configuration Main Menu
The Flip Active Status button on the Preparer(s) Menu will change every active preparer to inactive, including yourself. It is important to only flip active status when it is necessary, otherwise you risk being locked out of your account. If this happens, you will need to call support for assistance.