Creating, Printing and Filing Extensions in ProWeb
Form 4868 is used to extend the time to file an individual tax return. While the normal due date for taxes is April 15th (during most tax years), Form 4868 extends the due date by 6 months to October 15th.
*For 2021 individual tax extensions, the due date is April 18, 2022.
Filing Form 4868 only extends the time a taxpayer has to submit their income tax return to the IRS, it does not extend the time the taxpayer has to pay any amount that may be due. Even if the extension is filed, if payment is not received by the deadline the taxpayer may still incur interest and penalties associated with late payment. To be considered timely paid, the IRS must receive the taxpayer's payment on or before the due date. Electronic payment requests may be sent with the extension in order to help the taxpayer pay their required taxes online. Since the application is sent electronically, we recommend sending the application a couple of days before the due date to give the payment time to process.
NOTE: Most states can e-file extensions. In order to create extension for states, you must create the return and the state return. You will need to create the extension within the state return and mark it for electronic filing. This can be found under Miscellaneous Forms in the State Section.
Create or Edit Extension
From Client Search select the client you need to create the extension for
- Select the Federal Section from within the return
- Select Miscellaneous Forms
- Select BEGIN next to Form 4868 -Application for Extension
- You will need to fill out the Required Extension Information before continuing. These amounts will be the estimates you will be sending to the IRS.
Description of the Required Extension Information:
- Tax Liability is for the taxpayer’s total estimated tax liability
- Tax Payments is where you would enter any payments the taxpayer PREVIOUSLY made toward their tax liability
- Amount Paid with Extension is the amount the taxpayer is sending to the IRS with this extension
- After entering an amount in Amount Paid with Extension, a check box will appear that says: Would you like to pay your balance due electronically? Check this box if you are sending an electronic payment. You MUST fill out the following Bank Information in order for the IRS to withdraw funds from the Taxpayer’s
- Requested Payment Date: We suggest selecting a date 2 or 3 days from the date you are sending the extension. If the extension is not accepted by the payment date, the IRS may not take the payment.
Before an extension can be e-filed, all of the information for the client who is filing the extension must be entered on Form 4868.
- From here the program will recognize there is an extension attached to the return. You will have the option to Make Changes, File Extension, or File Return
- Select File Extension and check I understand (Clicking CONTINUE will take you to a review page. Please verify all information is correct. Afterwards, click CONTINUE again to file your extension. The IRS will process the extensions usually within 24 to 48 hours.)
To print the Form 4868 in ProWeb, you will need to create a custom print set. Afterwards, the extension can be printed from your Client List.
- Print Sets
- +Add Print Set
- Name the print set and select the number of copies for the Form 4868. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Go back to the Welcome page and select Client Search
- Find the client with the extension and select the drop down next to the Printer Icon. Select print from within the PDF that generates
To check the status of an extension select:
- Client Search from the Welcome page
- Find the client in the list and select the drop down box the says Tools
- Select Client Status