Form 4868 is used to extend the time to file an individual tax return. Unless extended by Congress the normal due date for individual tax returns to be filed is April 15th. Form 4868 extends the due date by 6 months to October 15, unless Congress also extends it further.
Taxpayers who are out of the country on the filing deadline have an automatic 2-month filing extension and have until June 15 to file Form 4868 to request an additional 4 months extension.
An alternative extension request is Form 2350. This form is the equivalent of Form 4868 if the taxpayer is
- is living out of the country, and
- expects to file Form 2555 but needs time to meet either the bona fide resident test or the physical presence test to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion and/or the foreign housing exclusion or deduction.
In this context, the phrase "out of the country" means
- the taxpayer both lives and works outside the U.S. or Puerto Rico,
- the taxpayer is in military or naval service on duty outside the U.S. or Puerto Rico.
Form 2350 is not supported in TaxSlayer ProWeb.
Filing an extension request only extends the filing deadline. It does not extend the time the taxpayer has to pay any amount that may be due.
Even if the extension is filed, if payment is not received by the deadline the taxpayer may still incur interest and penalties associated with late payment. To be considered timely paid, the IRS must receive the taxpayer's payment on or before the April 15 due date. An electronic payment request can be sent with the extension, or the payment can be made online at irs.gov/payments.
Note: Most state extension applications can be electronically filed. In order to create a state extension, you must create the federal tax return and the state tax return. You will create the state extension within the state return and mark it for electronic filing. The state extension is found under Miscellaneous Forms in the state tax return menu.
Creating or Editing an Extension
From the Federal Section of the tax return select:
- Miscellaneous Forms
Form 4868 - The first three fields only need to be completed if the taxpayer is making a payment with the extension request.
- Tax Liability - Enter here the total tax liability as shown on Form 1040. Click the "use current liability amount" link and ProWeb will fill the amount in for you.
- Tax Payments - Enter here the total already paid towards the tax liability. This includes withholdings and estimated payments.
- Amount Paid with Extension - Enter here the amount the taxpayer is sending to the IRS with this extension application.
- I was out of the country - Check this box if the taxpayer is or will be out of the country on the due date of the return.
- Would you like to pay your balance due electronically? - Check this box to include payment information with the extension application. (You won't see this check box if no amount to be paid with the extension was entered above.) After checking the box you will see fields to enter bank account information. For Payment Amount we suggest selecting a date 2 or 3 days from the date you are sending the extension but on or before the due date. (If the extension is not accepted by the payment date, the payment may be deemed late.)
Transmitting the Extension Application
Before an extension can be e-filed, all of the information for the client who is filing the extension must be entered on Form 4868.
To transmit an extension, from from the Federal Section of the tax return select:
- E-File - Recognizing that an extension application has been completed, you will be given several options: Make Changes, File Extension, and File Return.
- File Extension and check I understand.
- Clicking CONTINUE will take you to a review page. Verify all information is correct, then click CONTINUE again to electronically file the extension.
Note: Filing an extension does not give the taxpayer more time to pay. The extension only allows the taxpayer extra time to submit their return.
Printing Extension Applications
In ProWeb, to print just Form 4868 you will need to create a custom print set dedicated to just that form. (If you're not familiar with how to create a custom print set in ProWeb, click here.)
With a custom print set created:
- At the Welcome Page, select Client Search.
- Locate the client whose return you need to print.
- Click the printer icon
- Select the Form 4868 print set.
View Extension Status
To check the status of an extension select:
- At the Welcome Page, select Client Search.
- Locate the client whose extension status you'd like to check.
- Click the Tools drop down menu, then select Client Status.
Note: In the event that an extension is rejected by the IRS, it can be corrected and re-transmitted within 5 days after the original filing deadline and still be considered timely filed. Before refiling the extension request, if you have attached payment information be sure to adjust the date of debit.