If you are paid to prepare New York State tax returns or facilitate refund anticipation loans or checks, you may need to register each year with the New York Department of Taxation and Finance. You may also have to pay a registration fee when you register. For the New York DTF definition of a tax return preparer or facilitator, see here.
In general, you must register if you:
- are paid to prepare at least one New York State return during the calendar year as a tax return preparer, or
- facilitate a refund anticipation loan or refund anticipation check.
You must pay a $100 registration fee if you are a commercial tax return preparer and
- were paid to prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns in the previous calendar year, and will be paid to prepare at least one tax return in the current calendar year; or
- will be paid to prepare 10 or more tax returns in the current calendar year.
Commercial tax preparers also have New York State continuing education requirements, and these requirements can only be met via the free online continuing education courses using the state’s online Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS). (The continuing education requirements are not met with CPE or CLE credits, nor with IRS Tax Return Preparer Certification.)
In TaxSlayer Pro Desktop, upon creating the NY state return you may be prompted for the NYTPRIN. Follow the prompts to enter either the PIN or an exclusion code. To access or edit the NYTPRIN information from within the NY return, select:
- Personal Information
- Other Categories
- NY Preparer NYTPRIN
Note: Once you enter your NYTPRIN in a tax return, it will automatically generate in returns that you create moving forward.
In ProWeb, enter either the NYTPRIN or the reason for exemption here:
- Preparer Setup
- Preparer record
- Preparers NY Returns? - check the box and enter either the code or indicate the exempt reason