To electronically file only the state return, the federal return must also be marked for electronic filing. State returns "piggyback" with the federal return, but if marked "state only" the IRS doesn't process the federal return and forwards the state return(s) to the state(s).
To electronically file a state only return, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Transmit Electronic Return(s)
- If the client is not already listed on the transmission table, select Add Client.
- Click the check box in the State Only column for the client:
- You will be queried to confirm that you only wish to e-file the state return.
- If there is more than one state return, you will be prompted to select the state(s) to e-file.
- Select Transmit.
Once the state has processed the return, you can pick up the acknowledgement by selecting Receive Acknowledgements Only from the E-File Main Menu.
The following states do not allow State-Only filing:
If you wish to electronically file any of these state returns, you must e-file your Federal return at the same time.
Electronically Filing Multiple States