If there is a previous year of TaxSlayer Pro installed, or if prior year return data from another tax software package was converted for use in the current year, certain prior year data can be pulled forward when starting a return in the current year’s program.
When you start a return by entering the SSN, you will be asked:
Answer YES to pull forward prior year information.
If you enter the SSN and are instead asked:
Confirm you have entered the correct SSN.
If the SSN is correct and you aren't being asked about using the information from last year, try these troubleshooting steps:
1. If you are using TaxSlayer Pro for both the current year and the prior year, ensure the return is not open in the prior year program at the same time as you are attempting to start the current year's return.
2. If you are using TaxSlayer Pro in a network, try starting the return on the computer designated as the File Server. If the SSN is entered correctly and the data is still not pulling forward, verify the configuration setting for the prior year path. From the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Path Menu
- Prior Path
Check two things in the Path Menu:
- The Installation Path and the Prior Path must be on the same drive.
- If the installation path is on the C drive, the prior path should be C:\TaxSlayer\20xxNet\Data, where xx is the two-digit prior year.
3. Finally, in the prior year TaxSlayer Pro verify you can open and exit the return without error.
- If an error message displays when attempting to open the return, contact Support. We will either attempt to fix the problem or create a ticket for our technical support staff.
- If the prior year return can be successfully opened and exited, return to the current year program and enter the SSN to start the return again. If you're still not being asked about using last year's information, contact Support.