Upon exiting a return, the preparer is taken to the Receipt Menu. This menu is where the invoice can be edited to ensure all fees are included, payments can be recorded, and, if used, return data tags can be assigned.
Preparation Fee: This fee represents the total you will be charging for preparing this return based on the amounts set in the Fee Setup Menu in program configuration. The total is calculated based on the forms present in the return and the fee for each.
Electronic Filing Fee: If you have set a fee in the Fee Setup Menu for electronic filing and the return is going to be e-filed, that amount will display for the Electronic Filing Fee. This fee includes both the federal and state electronic filing fees.
View Custom Fees: If you have set one or more Custom Fees in the Fees Setup Menu they will be available to be added to the invoice as desired. This item line is hidden if no Custom Fees have been set.
View Custom Discounts: If you have set one or more Custom Discounts in the Fees Setup Menu they will be available to be included to the invoice as desired. This item line is hidden if no Custom Discounts have been set.
View/Edit Invoice: Selecting View/Edit Invoice opens the Invoice Fees Menu. This menu contains several options:
- Generate a Detailed/Summary Invoice: You have the choice of printing two types of invoices:
- Detailed: A detailed invoice lists the fee for each particular form on the return plus the total.
- Summary: A summary invoice lists the billable items on the return but only shows the total fees. The fee charged for each form will not print on the summary invoice.
- Edit Preparer Fee: Select this to make changes to the invoice such as adding a fee, changing a fee, or deleting a fee. To add a new fee, select New and enter a description of the fee along with the amount. If you want to change a fee, select the fee to change and then click Edit. You can change the description name if desired and then adjust the fee. To delete a fee, select the fee to delete and click Delete. The invoice will automatically update to reflect the changes.
- Client Invoice Note: Enter a note that will print on the invoice.
- Invoice Paid Amount: When the client pays you for preparing the return you can record the payment here. Select the type of payment and enter the payment date. The amount paid will be reflected on the invoice.
- Lock Fees on Invoice: Locking the fees on the invoice prevents any new fees from being added or removed from the invoice.
- Generate Client Discount: To give a discount for tax return preparation fees, enter either a dollar amount or a percentage. The discount will be reflected on the invoice as a separate line item.
- Last Years Preparer Fee: If you prepared the client's return last year, the preparer fee charged displays here for reference purposes.
- Charge Keypunch Fee: If a client has already prepared their own return and they want you to keypunch the return, you can charge a separate fee for this. You must first have a Keypunch fee set in the Fees Setup Menu. Then, in the return in the Electronic Information Menu, mark the return as Self Prepared. Upon exiting the return to the Receipt Menu, you will be asked if you want to only charge a keypunch fee. Answer Yes. Note that this fee can be added to the Fees Setup Menu at any time but is only available on returns not marked complete.
- Use Hourly Based Billing: To use hourly based billing, an hourly rate must be set in the Preparer Edit Menu for the preparer on the return and the Charge by the Hour check box must be checked in the Fees Setup Menu. After selecting the menu item you will be asked the total time spent on the return in hours and minutes. Enter four digits, two for the hours and two for the minutes. For example, if the time spent on the return is an hour and a half, enter 0130.
- Viewing and Printing: To view the invoice, click the black magnifying glass icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
NOTE: An invoice number is not assigned to the invoice until the return has been marked complete.
Enter Payment: As in the preceding menu, you can also record a payment here. Select the type of payment and enter the payment date. The amount paid will be reflected on the invoice.
Select Loan Tier: (Bank product returns only.) The highest loan tier amount will automatically be selected if the taxpayer has chosen to receive a bank product. If the taxpayer prefers a lower amount, select the desired loan amount. This line is hidden if no bank product is selected.
Bank Application/Estimated First Check: If the taxpayer has selected a bank product, the amount they will receive in their first check will be displayed next to Estimated First Check. Click this line to enter for more menus to enter information required by the bank on the application, to view the application, and to see an estimate of the amount of the first check that will be received.
Bank Application: The bank application can be printed once all of the required information is filled in. Remember to have the taxpayer sign the application.
Print Bank Documents: This menu item is visible once all of the information that the bank requires has been entered, e.g., phone number(s), e-mail address, identity document, security question, etc.
Bank 7216 Disclosure Signed: If visible, answer Yes to indicate that your client has signed the bank's Consent to Disclose form. Some steps in completing the return may not be available to you until this has been done.
Client's Media Type: The client's media type designates whether the client will pick up their tax return in paper form, or if you will e-mail it to them. The e-mail option is displayed only if an email address is entered in the Personal Information Menu of the tax return.
Cell Phone for Bank Texts: If visible, enter the client's cell phone number here if they wish to receive text messages from the bank.
Return Status Tags: This menu item is visible if one or more Return Status Tags have been created in the program configuration. Select any that apply to this return. Any selected will display in the Client List for this return under the Return Status Tags column.
Referral: If you are tracking referrals, enter the information here or select an existing referral from the list. If you create a new referral, it will be added to the referrals list available to be used on other returns.
Edit Client's Return: Select this line to return to the client's return, rather than exit to the program menu.