The client organizer is questionnaire and information document that tax preparers use to gather tax data from their clients. The organizer follows IRS forms and schedules and breaks down each line using common terms. The organizer helps your client assemble the information you will need to prepare their tax return, and it can be printed to paper or PDF.
If you have prepared a client's return in a previous year, information can be pulled into the organizer from their prior year return. The organizer can be mailed to your clients before their visit to your office, or it can be used internally for year-end planning, input sheets, etc. The organizer is a time-saving tool, helping your client plan for their visit to your office and helping you more efficiently prepare their return.
There are four types of organizers that can be printed (where Year is either the current year or the prior year, as selected), and you can print to paper or PDF:
- Complete Organizer with Year Tax Year Data - The full 17-page organizer queries information needed to complete Form 1040 and all supporting schedules, including sources of income, employee business expenses, education expenses and reimbursements, child and dependent care expenses, and sales and exchanges of assets.
- Organizer with only Year Tax Year Forms - This organizer is reduced in size, containing only the pages deemed relevant for a particular client based on their prior year return.
- Basic Organizer with Year Tax Year Data - This 4-page organizer includes several pages of questions along with a page for basic information and W-2 information.
- Basic Information Page with Year Tax Year Data - This single-page organizer queries only basic information and W-2 information.
To print an organizer for a client, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Print Organizer
- Print Blank Organizer - This option prints a full 17-page blank organizer designed to be given to clients for whom you have no prior year data..
- Print Organizer for Selected Clients - Allows you to select clients and specify which organizer to print for them.
- Print Organizer for Clients Marked to Print - In a client's tax return, you can indicate that you would like an organizer to print for them next year. This option prints organizers for all clients that have been so marked.
- Print Organizer for All Clients - This menu option prints an organizer for every client from the desired year, either the current year or the previous year. Do not use this option if you have many clients: if printing to paper, you may use more paper than you anticipated; if printing to PDF, the PDF program, e.g., Acrobat Reader, may run out of memory before the printing process is finished. How many "many" is depends on your PC, so if you're uncertain consider using the "Selected Clients" option and print in batches.
To indicate in a client's tax return that you would like an organizer to be printed for them next year, from the Main Menu of the tax return (Form 1040) select:
- Personal Information
- Other Categories
- Print Organizer for client next year