The IRS indicates that "our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of your refund 21 days after you filed electronically; 6 weeks after you mailed your paper return; or if 'Where’s My Refund?' directs you to contact us." Here's how to get through to a representative:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 during their support hours
of 7 AM to 7 PM local time Monday to Friday.
- Select your language, pressing 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
- Press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.
- Press 1 for questions about a form already filed or a payment.
- Press 3 for all other questions.
- Press 2 for all other questions.
- Make no entry when queried for the SSN.
- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
- Press 4 for all other questions.