The tuition and fees deduction is available as an alternative to the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit to taxpayers who qualify. The qualifications are similar to those of the American Opportunity Credit. For more information, see here.
To enter information for the Tuition and Fees Deduction in TaxSlayer Pro, from the Main Menu of the tax return (Form 1040) select:
- Tuition and Fees Deduction
- New - Select the individual in the return who is the student.
- Did the student receive a 1098-T for 2020? - Answer YES or NO as appropriate.
- Enter the educational institution's EIN, name, and address, then click Ok when finished.
- Select Tuition & Fees Deduction.
- In the Qualified Education Expenses menu, enter the amounts requested.