If you purchase a new PC to use with TaxSlayer Pro, we want to help you get it set up so that you can pick up your tax work where you left off. The below steps apply to you if this is the only PC you use to prepare tax returns or if this is the PC that functions as the File Server in an office with multiple PCs preparing tax returns.
Migrating from the old PC to the new is best done if the old PC is still accessible or if you have an up-to-date backup that includes the entire TaxSlayer folder. In this scenario, your client list can be restored as it is, including returns that were paper filed as well as unfinished returns, along with all your program configurations.
On the other hand, if the old PC is inoperable due to a hardware or software problem such as hard drive failure or malware corruption, we can help you recover returns that were e-filed. You will need to recreate returns that were paper filed as well as those that were still in-process.
Before installing and configuring TaxSlayer Pro, we recommend ensuring that Windows is up to date. To check for Windows updates:
- Right-click the Windows Start menu at the lower-left of your Windows desktop and choose Settings.
- Click Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates, even if its initial message is "You're up to date". After checking for updates, Windows Update will respond in one of two ways:
- "You're up to date" - Great! You are ready to install TaxSlayer Pro.
- Updates begin downloading - Let Windows install the updates. If a reboot is required, do that, and once you are back at your Windows desktop reopen Windows Update and check for updates again (sometimes one update precipitates another update). Eventually after checking for updates you'll be told you're up to date.
Step 1: Download and Install the Programs
With a new computer, you must download and install TaxSlayer Pro for each year you would like to have access to. Please note, you are only able to download the years we support (the current and four prior years).
To download TaxSlayer Pro, complete the following steps:
- Log in to Account Hub.
- Locate Software Options.
- Use the dropdown to select the program year.
- Click Download.
- Once the download completes, follow browser prompts, if any, to finalize the download.
Note: Your anti-virus or firewall software may prompt you to select Allow or Permit or Unblock to allow the TaxSlayer Pro installation file to download and install.
To install TaxSlayer Pro, complete the following steps:
- Double-click the installation file that downloaded.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the software.
Step 2: Recover Data to Your New Computer
If the old PC is still up and running, you have a few options for transferring returns to the new PC:
- Backing up the returns from the old PC and recalling them to the new PC using our guide, Backing Up / Recalling Individual Tax Returns.
- Setting up an Office to Office transfer. Doing this transfers returns from the old PC to the new PC. You can use our guide, Office to Office Transmissions.
Our Technical Support team can assist migrating the program data and configurations from the old PC to the new PC if desired. Please call TaxSlayer Pro Support to set up a time.
Note: Migrations require tech support to connect with your computer, and the process may take well over an hour, depending on the amount of data that needs to be transferred.
If you do not have access to the old computer, TaxSlayer Pro can help you recover returns that were e-filed for the prior supported tax years. Please call TaxSlayer Pro Support and let us know you would like assistance with recovering returns.
Step 3: Recover Configuration to Your New Computer
If you still have access to the old computer, you can use the same configuration settings on the new computer as you used on the old one. Follow our guide here: Copying Configuration To A New Computer.
If you do not have access to the old computer, you will need to manually set up Configuration.
Step 4: Set up Your Office Network
Once the program is installed on the new computer, you will be able to setup a network, if needed, using our guide, Network Overview and Setup.
If you would like Technical Support to help network your new computer, please call TaxSlayer Pro Support for assistance.
If the old PC is still running fine, and TaxSlayer Pro software older than five years continues to run okay on it, we recommend keeping this computer on standby for those occasions where you may need to amend or reprint a return, rather than migrating the older years to the new PC. Older software may not run correctly on the newest version of Windows, and we won't be able to assist you with program configuration issues.