If the TaxSlayer Pro shortcut has disappeared from your computer's desktop, here are a few self-service troubleshooting steps you can take:
Have you tried refreshing your computer's desktop?
Right-click on a blank area of the desktop and select Refresh to see if the icon reappears.
Can you create a generic icon?
To create a generic icon from TaxSlayer Pro, select:
- Locate the TaxSlayer folder on the C drive (where TaxSlayer Pro is typically installed):
- Choose the 20xxNet folder (xx being the program year)
- Right-click TaxProgram.exe or TaxProgram (however displayed)
- Choose Send To and click Desktop (create shortcut)
- A shortcut with a generic Windows icon will appear on your desktop:
To rename it, right-click the icon, choose Rename and enter the name. To be consistent with other years of TaxSlayer Pro, enter the year followed by the program name, so you would rename the 2020 shortcut "2020 TaxSlayer Pro".
Note: If the TaxProgram application is missing from the 20xxNet folder, contact TaxSlayer Pro Support at 706.868.0985 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you having problems opening the program from the shortcut?
Right-click the desktop shortcut and click Open, or double-click it.
If TaxSlayer Pro doesn't open, check the status of the Tax Program Service in Task Manager:
- Open Task Manager. There are two ways to do this:
- Press CTRL + Alt + Delete, then choose Task Manager
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu, then choose Task Manager
- Click More Details at the bottom if you see it.
- Select the Services Tab:
- Locate Tax Program Service 20xx (xx being the program year).
- What to do next depends on the service's status:
- Stopped - right-click the service and choose Start
- Running - right-click the service and choose Restart
- Starting - get approval for a tech ticket if it doesn't get past this.
If the program still doesn't open or an error occurred while launching the program, you can contact TaxSlayer Pro Support at 706.868.0985 or email email@example.com for further assistance.