If you are unable to see all of the tax returns in the TaxSlayer Pro Client List (also called the Pick List), here are some possible causes and solutions.
The Client List may be filtered
The client list can be filtered by setting a column filter (using the filter icon at the top of each column) as well as by entering something in the search field at the top left:
If the Client List has been filtered, whether deliberately or accidentally, you will see the correct total at the bottom left of the list next to "Total:" but the returns you see will be limited to the filters you have set. To clear the filters that have been set, click Clear Filters at the bottom of the Client List.
The Client List may need repair
If you can see some returns but not all, it's possible the database file that oversees and catalogs the tax returns needs to be rebuilt. Doing this requires a security role that allows you access to the Utilities menu.
To rebuild the tax return pick list, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Repair Tax Return Pick List
- You will be prompted to be sure all the states included in the tax returns are installed before continuing. You may not have all the states needed if you just loaded returns off a backup or received one or more via Office to Office Transfer. If you're uncertain, answer NO and check for updates before proceeding. Answer YES to proceed.
Repairing the list can take anywhere from seconds to minutes depending on the number of returns and the speed of the computer.
If you do not have access to the Utilities menu, ask the owner or manager to complete this process for you.
The network configuration may be incorrect
If you have recently gotten a new computer, or if your office has recently changed which computer is the File Server, you may notice some returns are missing from the Client List if the Network Configuration has not been updated. If you have access to the Configuration menu, you can check this.
From the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- System / Network Configuration Menu
- Is this the only PC that works on tax returns? If so, it may be that the network info needs updating. Do this to update the info:
- Select Are You Using a Network? and answer YES.
- Select Are You Using a Network? and answer NO.
- Does this PC function as the File Server in a networked office?
- Ensure Are You Using a Network? is YES.
- Ensure File Server? is YES.
- Is this PC a Workstation in a networked office? Workstations get their Client List from the File Server, so if Clear Filters did not work then repair the pick list on the File Server to see if that takes care of the problem on the Workstation.
If you do not have access to the Configuration menu, ask the owner or manager to log in to check the Network Configuration.
If any of the above steps are unsuccessful, give TaxSlayer Pro support a call for assistance.