TaxSlayer Pro Desktop Users
To amend a North Carolina individual tax return in the TaxSlayer Pro, follow the steps below:
- Open the North Carolina return by clicking on 10. State Return and selecting North Carolina from the list.
- If the Federal Return is also being amended, the updated information will automatically pull into the state when you open it. If the Federal Return is not also being amended, go ahead and make any necessary changes to the North Carolina Return.
- Once you have made any changes, select 1. Personal Information and then choose 11. Other Categories.
- From the Other Categories list, select 7. Amended Return? and answer YES.
This will open the Amended Menu. Please be sure to select Reasons for Amending and Explanation of Changes:
When you have completed the amended North Carolina return, make sure it is marked for electronic filing if you plan to e-file it. In the E-File Transmission Table, be sure to check the State Only check box to indicate only the state return is to be e-filed.
TaxSlayer ProWeb Users
To amend a North Carolina return in TaxSlayer ProWeb, follow the steps below:
- On the left side of the program, select 20XX Amended Return.
- Once inside the amended return menu, select Amend State Return(s). This will take you to the Amended State Return menu. From there, click Amend State.
- In the state return menu, select the last option Amended Return.
- On the following page, you will see the option: To create Form D-400 Sch AM, North Carolina amended return, select YES and complete the additional section below. In the dropdown menu, select YES.
- Next, click Review and Complete Amended Return. Three additional menus plus a question will appear.
You will need to answer the General Questions, fill out the Payments and Credits section, and add an Explanation of Changes:
Once you have completed all these parts, you will need to print and mail the amended North Carolina tax return. To print the state return, exit the North Carolina return to navigate back to the Amended State Return and click the printer icon on the North Carolina line.