Start an Amended Return
- Select the option "20XX Amended Return" from within the tax return to file an amended return for this year’s tax return.
The program will open the Amended Tax Return - Form 1040X Menu. There will be seven (7) menu options to select from. For detailed step-by-step instructions on preparing an Amended Return start by selecting How to Amend Your Return.
- To begin an amended return, first populate the Original Federal Return Information. If the original return was submitted electronically and accepted through TaxSlayer Pro from the same office, this column will auto-populate with the original tax return information. Otherwise, manually input the figures in this column.
- After completing the input of the original column, select the Continue button. This will navigate back to the Amended Tax Return – 1040X Menu.
- Select Make Corrections for Amended Return and then select the Continue button. This will navigate to the Income page of the tax return. Make any necessary changed; only edit or enter information that was incorrect or omitted on the originally filed return.
- Return to the Amended Tax Return – Form 1040X menu
- Select the BEGIN button next to Explain Changes to enter an explanation for amending the original tax return. Be descriptive and make sure to list each change that appears on the form. After entering these explanations, select Continue.
Create an Amended State Return
- Select Amended State Return(s) to make changes to the accepted state tax return. Click on Edit Amended, next to the state return that requires changes. Return to this menu later if more than one state needs to be amended.
- Select Amended Return, located at the bottom of the state return.
- Answer the questions: To create Form …., amended tax return, select YES and complete the additional section below.
- Click Begin next to Review and Complete Amended Return.
- Enter the required information and Explanation of Changes and click Save through to the State Main Menu.
- Exit the State Return.
Note: Make sure all city, school district, or county tax returns are completed within the appropriate state(s).
E-File an Amended Return
Starting in 2019, amended returns can be E-Filed through the ProWeb software. For information on how to do this, please check out the guide below. Only 2019 and 2020 amended returns can be e-filed in ProWeb. Prior year amended return(s) must be mailed with a copy of the original return attached.