Below are the steps involved in updating your e-Services Account
- Visit https://www.irs.gov/e-services
- Select "E-File Provider Services"
- Select "Access e-file Application"
- Each principal and responsible official in the firm must create his or her own e-Services account.
- All e-Services users must have an account secured by the identity proofing process called Secure Access. (If you are new to e-Services, you must register using the online authentication process before you can access the e-Services suite of tools.)
- The proofing process is a one-time verification. Once you have authenticated your identity and established a Secure Access account for e-Services, there is no further action required.
- You will need to pass various identity proofing stages, including questions to confirm your email, tax return information, financial account information, and mobile phone confirmation.
- You will need to have on hand:
- Your email address
- Your Social Security Number
- Your filing status and address from your last-filed tax return
- Your personal account number from a:
- Credit Card
- Student Loan
- Home Mortgage Loan
- Home Equity Loan
- Home Equity Line of Credit
- Car Loan
- A mobile device that is text-enabled or supports the IRS2Go app. A text-enabled mobile phone associated with your name will allow you to complete the registration or update in one session within 15 minutes.
- If you do not have a mobile phone associated with your name, you may request an activation code by mail, delivered within 5 to 10 days.
Calling for Help
- If you are an existing e-Services user and you cannot successfully authenticate online, you may call the IRS and a customer service representative will ask a series of questions related to your current and prior year tax return information. Call the e-Help desk at 1-888-841-4648.
- To complete the process, select the e-Services application or product in which you are trying to access and select either 'Sign Up' or 'Log In'.
Information Prior to 2018
The IRS has upgraded its identity verification process for e-Services accounts and many other online tools. All IRS e-Services accounts must be registered in the new system. The new process, called Secure Access strengthens the identity validation for users logging in to their accounts.
Follow these steps to update your e-Services account:
1. Access the IRS e-Services Account Sign Up and Log In Page. If you do not have an e-services account, click here.
2. Enter your username and select LOG IN:
3. Select CONTINUE