To prepare a MFJ return with two MFS state returns, first prepare and file the MFJ Federal Return. Print the information out to mail or send this portion electronically. Once the federal return has been mailed or accepted through e-filing, you can then prepare the two MFS state returns.
To prepare the first of the two MFS returns, start with the Original Taxpayer. From the Main Menu of the Tax Return (Form 1040):
- Print a copy of the original MFJ Federal return to keep on file.
- Delete all of the information from the federal return that applies to the spouse.
- Change the filing status to Married Filing Separate (MFS).
- Complete a MFS federal return for the original taxpayer.
- Select the State return.
- Print the return to mail or submit it as a state only return through e-filing.
- After this process is complete, create a new MFS Federal Return for the spouse.
- Generate the MFS state return for the spouse.
- Print the state return to mail or submit it for e-filing as a state only return.