Acceptance agents are individuals or entities (colleges, financial institutions, accounting firms, etc.) that have entered into formal agreements with the IRS that permit them to assist alien individuals and other foreign persons with obtaining a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). The type of duties that an acceptance agent is permitted to perform is based upon the application to become either an Acceptance Agent (AA) or a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA).
All persons who wish to participate in the IRS Acceptance Agent Program must apply by completing Form 13551.
Where to Enter Acceptance Agent Information in TaxSlayer Pro Desktop:
To include Acceptance Agent Information for a preparer in the TaxSlayer Pro Desktop program, from the Quick Menu select:
- Firm / ERO / Preparer Setup
- Preparer(s) Menu - select the preparer, then Edit
- 2848 / Acceptance Agent Information - enter the information:
- Acceptance Agent Title
- Acceptance Agent Office Code - The office code is a number assigned by the ITIN Policy Section when the application for AA status is approved.
- Acceptance Agent Business Name
- Acceptance Agent IRS Agreement Date
The information that you enter in the Preparer Setup Menu will automatically pull to Form W-7 - Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number when selected to do so.
Newly added Acceptance Agent information doesn't automatically pull into a return that has already been started. To pull in the new information you will need to refresh the preparer code in the return. From the Main Menu of the tax return (Form 1040) select:
- Personal Information
- Preparer Code - Press Enter. This will re-enter the same code and refresh the preparer information in the return.
Where to Enter Acceptance Agent Information in TaxSlayer ProWeb:
To include Acceptance Agent Information for a preparer in TaxSlayer ProWeb, from the Welcome page select:
- Preparer Setup - Select Edit next to the preparer.
- Scroll down to the Preparer Agent Information section and enter the information in the space provided:
- Company Name
- Office Code - The office code is a number assigned by the ITIN Policy Section when the application for AA status is approved.
- IRS Agreement Date
When the information has been entered for the preparer in ProWeb, it will pull to Form W-7 in all new and existing returns prepared by the preparer.