To electronically file only the state return, the federal return must also be marked for electronic filing. State returns "piggyback" with the federal return, but if marked "state only" the IRS doesn't process the federal return and forwards the state return(s) to the state(s).
To electronically file a state-only return, from within the return select:
- E-File – located on the left-side of the program OR if you are on the Calculation Summary page click Continue.
- Click the check box next to Send State Only
- Select Federal Return Type (Federal Return Type must be selected even though you are filing State Only)
- Select the State Return(s) tab, then select the State Return Type
- Select Save (this will take you to the Submission page).
The following states do not allow State-Only filing:
If you wish to electronically file any of these state returns, you must e-file your Federal return at the same time.