To electronically file a state only return, the federal return must also be marked for electronic filing. These state-only e-files "piggyback" with the federal return. The IRS doesn't process the federal return and forwards the state return(s) to the state(s).
To electronically file a state-only return, from within the return select:
- E-File – located on the left-side of the program OR if you are on the Calculation Summary page click Continue.
- Click on the box next to Send State Only
- Select Federal Return Type (Federal Return Type must be selected even though you are filing State Only)
- Select the State Return(s) tab, then select the State Return Type
- Select Save (this will take you to the Submission page).