Windows 11 is the latest version of the Windows operating system from Microsoft. The first step to upgrading is ensuring that your computer can be upgraded. See here for the system requirements. Microsoft also has an application you can download and run to help determine your PC's compatibility. See here to download the PC Health Check app.
If your PC can be upgraded to Windows 11, here are a few items that you need to check before and after upgrading.
- Make a backup of all your business data BEFORE beginning the upgrade.
- Back up your TaxSlayer Pro data and programs for all years using the Program Backup Utility in the Utilities Menu.
- Back up the data for any other programs you use in your business.
- Take this opportunity to clean up your computer before upgrading to Windows 11:
- Uninstall all programs that you are not using. Check the list of programs in the Apps & Features section in Windows Settings.
- Use the Disk Cleanup app to remove all temporary files.
- Ensure the programs that are essential to your work will run under Windows 11. The program publisher's website should have this information.
- Make sure that all your hardware, e.g., printer, scanner, signature pad, is supported in Windows 11. Some older printers and scanners aren't supported and will need to be replaced. Check the manufacturer's website for this information.
- If you use TaxSlayer Pro in a networked environment and this is the PC that functions as the file server, note the PC's "Device name". This is the name specified in the TaxSlayer Pro System/Network configuration menu in each workstation PC. If the device name changes in the course of upgrading, you will need to update it in each workstation's configuration.
- Test your printer
- Test your scanner
- Test all other hardware, such as the signature pad
- Test each program
- If you use TaxSlayer Pro in a networked environment and this is the PC that functions as the file server, ensure the workstation PC(s) can communicate with it successfully. Being able to log in to the workstation confirms this as well as seeing an identical client list.
As always, we suggest you consult a local tech if you feel uncomfortable performing these tasks.