Forms W-2 and 1099-R both require an employer identification number in order to e-file. When income is reported by a foreign employer on any other form, enter this information into TaxSlayer Pro as Foreign Employer Compensation. Doing this will create Form FEC, Foreign Employer Compensation. This form isn't viewable in the program, but its data is part of the return data e-filed to the IRS.
To enter Foreign Employer Compensation (FEC), from the Main Menu of the Tax Return (Form 1040), select:
- Income Menu
- Wages, Salaries, Tips (W-2) or IRA/Pension Distributions (1099R, RRB-1099R)
- Foreign Employer Compensation
- The employer ID number is optional. The employer name and address are required.
- Enter the amount of foreign compensation, pension, and taxable pension in the spaces provided.
- Changes can be made in the Foreign Earned Compensation Menu. For returns with a filing status of MFJ you will see a menu item labeled either Taxpayer's FEC Record or Spouse's FEC Record. Click this line to toggle whose record this is. For all other filing statuses, this line will indicate Taxpayer's FEC Record and is unchangeable.
- When you have finished entering the FEC information, select Exit.
Although there are two places under the income menu where FEC information can be entered, there is only one list showing all FEC records entered.
NOTE: This is a guide to entering Foreign Employer Compensation into the TaxSlayer Pro program. This is not intended as tax advice.