Why do I have to install updates on all my computers?
When TaxSlayer Pro is being used in a networked environment, wherein one computer is designated as the file server (and typically also the transmitting computer), and other computers are designated as workstations, each computer has the TaxSlayer Pro program installed on its own hard drive and therefore each computer must download and install updates.
Workstation computers receive their updates from the file server, therefore it is important that the file server download updates first thing each day, and during tax season download updates more than once each day. After each update has been downloaded by the file server, it is available to be downloaded and installed on a workstation, either when the program is started on the workstation or by selecting Updates from the Main Menu of the program.
Are returns automatically updated after getting updates?
Returns aren't automatically updated after a federal or state update has been installed. To apply a federal update to a particular return, simply open the return. To apply a state update, open the state return and the update will be applied to it.
How can I get the state updates to download automatically?
The Internet Update Utility is a module within the TaxSlayer Pro program that gives you the ability to specify the state updates you wish to be downloaded automatically when the program is started.
To specify the states to be updated automatically, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Configure Updates - Click a state to select it to automatically download and install each time the program is started.
Why Am I Seeing "A Connection To The Host Computer Could Not Be Made?"
Check to see if your PC's antivirus or firewall software was recently updated. Microsoft Windows and your security software are designed to periodically download their own updates to improve performance, fix known issues, and increase security. It is possible that one of these updates is preventing TaxSlayer Pro from connecting to our secure servers to transmit returns, pick up acknowledgements, and download updates. Fixing this problem may require adjusting certain Windows communications settings or the security software's configuration.
We have found that the majority of problems with connectivity have to do with the computer's firewall. To give the TaxSlayer Pro software the permissions it needs, on each computer do the following:
- Locate the firewall software and open it.
- Navigate to the section in the software that allows you to grant or deny access to internet sites or programs.
- In this section, look for the TaxSlayer Pro files TaxProgram.exe and TaxProgram.UpdateUtility.exe
- For each file, select the option to Allow Full Access or Grant Full Permission, however it is worded in the software.
After having adjusted the security software, try to connect to our secure servers either by transmitting a return, picking up acknowledgements, or receiving updates. If you find that TaxSlayer Pro is still blocked by your firewall, you may need to temporarily disable your firewall as you connect to our servers.
Why is the Workstation Computer Not Updating?
In order for the workstation to access the updates, it must be able to communicate with the file server through the local network. To verify that the workstation is able to communicate with the file server, from the Quick Menu of TaxSlayer Pro on the workstation select:
- System / Network Configuration Menu
- Ensure Are You Using a Network? is marked YES
- Ensure File Server? is marked NO
- Local Computer Name and Local IP Address show information about this computer. File Server Address should indicate the name and IP address of the file server:
- If File Server Address is identical to Local Computer Name and Local IP Address, you will need to change it as follows:
- Select File Server Address.
- Ensure the file server is on and logged in to Windows. Click Connect to File Server and see if the program finds the file server on the network. If it does, you're done and you should be able to download updates from file server. If it doesn't find the file server, enter the file server computer name in the File Server Name field and try again. To find out the name of the file server, look in this same menu on that computer. If it still doesn't connect, contact our technical support staff for assistance.
- If File Server Address is different than the Local Computer Name and Local IP Address, verify that the information is correct by comparing it to the information in this same menu on the file server computer. Correct it if necessary, click Connect to File Server and see if the program finds the file server on the network. If it doesn't connect, contact our technical support staff for assistance.