IRS Form 8453 is required to be completed and mailed to the IRS when one or more of the forms listed on it are included in an e-filed return. (See below for the mailing address.)
TaxSlayer Pro will automatically produce Form 8453 based on the information in the return except when these four attachments are needed:
- Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method
- Form 5713, International Boycott Report
- Form 8858, Foreign Disregarded Entities Information Return
- Form 8283 Section A (if any statement or qualified appraisal is required)
To manually indicate any of these four attachments on Form 8453 so Form 8453 will print with the return, from the Main Menu of the tax return (Form 1040) select:
- Mark Return Electronic
- Other E-File Information
- Mark Form 8453 Attachments - Check the form check box.
When is Form 8453 produced in a return?
Following is a list of all the forms that require Form 8453 be mailed to the IRS along with any relevant attachments.
- Form 1098-C - Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes (or equivalent contemporaneous written acknowledgement)
Form 1098-C Instructions
- Form 2848 - Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (or POA that states the agent is granted authority to sign the return)
Form 2848 Instructions
- Form 3115 - Application for Change in Accounting Method (not available in TaxSlayer Pro but can be completed and printed from the IRS website)
Form 3115 Instructions
- Form 3468 - Attach a copy of the first page of NPS Form 10-168a, Historic Preservation Certification Application (Part 2—Description of Rehabilitation), with an indication that it was received by the Department of the Interior or the State Historic Preservation Officer, together with proof that the building is a certified historic structure (or that such status has been requested)
Form 3468 Instructions
- Form 4136 - Attach the Certificate for Biodiesel and, if applicable, Statement of Biodiesel Reseller or a certificate from the provider identifying the product as renewable diesel and, if applicable, a statement from the reseller.
Form 4136 Instructions
- Form 5713 - International Boycott Report
Form 5713 Instructions
- Form 8283 - Noncash Charitable Contributions, Section A, (if any statement or qualified appraisal is required) or Section B, Donated Property, and any related attachments (including any qualified appraisal or partnership Form 8283)
Form 8283 Instructions
- Form 8332 - Release / Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent (or certain pages from a divorce decree or separation agreement, that went into effect after 1984 and before 2009)
Form 8332 Instructions
Note: Form 8453 is only generated in a return for the noncustodial parent. It's not required for the custodial parent's return.
- Form 8858 - Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Foreign Disregarded Entities
Form 8858 Instructions
- Form 8864 - Attach the Certificate for Biodiesel and, if applicable, Statement of Biodiesel Reseller or a certificate from the provider identifying the product as renewable diesel and, if applicable, a statement from the reseller
Form 8864 Instructions
- Form 8885 - (For 2021 and prior) Health Coverage Tax Credit, and all required attachments
Form 8885 Instructions
- Form 8949 - Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets if adjustment code M is used indicating that multiple transactions are summarized and reported on a single row.
Form 8949 Instructions
Mailing Form 8453
If you are required to file Form 8453, you must mail the form with any required attachments within 3 business days after receiving an e-file acceptance acknowledgement from the IRS to this address:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254