When TaxSlayer Pro is started, it will open a window to log in with a user name and password. There are two kinds of users in TaxSlayer Pro:
- ADMIN - Short for Administrator, the ADMIN password is the first password created when installing the software. The ADMIN user can work in any menu in the program except for preparing tax returns.
- Users - Users each have a unique user name and have varying degrees of security clearance, as set by someone with permission to work on preparer configuration, either the ADMIN user or a user with a security role of Unlimited.
Note: If you are using TaxSlayer Pro in a networked environment, with more than one computer preparing tax returns, preparer information can only be configured on the computer designated as the file server.
Each preparer has their own user name and password specified in Preparer Security, and a security role is assigned to them, allowing or denying access to certain menus as desired. To access Preparer Security, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
- Firm/ERO/Preparer Setup
- Preparer(s) Menu- Select the preparer you wish to edit
- Preparer Security
- Line 3 - The default security role is Super User. Select this line to change the role if desired. Three preset security roles are provided — Return Preparer, Super User, and Unlimited — and each provides varying levels of restriction, with Return Preparer being the most restricted and Unlimited containing no restrictions. (You can also create other security roles if you wish, customizing each to allow or deny access to each menu or function as desired for particular preparers in your office. See the Security Roles knowledgebase article.)
- Lines 4-22 - The default access for all program menus is preset to according to the security role chosen, however any of these can be modified as desired. Decide which sections of the program should be restricted for the preparer and change these menu items to NO. If this is the office manager or ERO’s login account, it is recommended to leave ALL options set to YES.
- Changes will take effect on the preparer's next login.