TaxSlayer Pro supports the electronic filing of annual returns for six business entities:
- 1120 Corporation
- 1120S Corporation
- 1065 Partnership
- 1041 Estate and Trust
- 990 and 990-EZ Exempt Organization
- 990-PF Private Foundation and Nonexempt Charitable Trust Treated as a Private Foundation
Business extension forms 7004 and 8868 can also be filed electronically. The IRS does not currently offer e-file as an option for Form 990-T.
Marking a Return For Electronic Filing
To mark a return for electronic filing, from the Main Menu of the Tax Return select Mark Return Electronic.
The Officer's PIN is automatically generated based on the last four digits of the EIN. If needed, enter or adjust the Signature Date and the ERO's PIN.
Check to make sure everything is correct on the Electronic Filing Menu. If the entries are correct, select Exit.
If you are finished with the return, exit to the Receipt Menu and make entries or adjustments as needed. When you select the Exit from the Receipt Menu a message will appear asking Are You Ready to Mark the Return as Completed and Ready for Transmission? Select YES to add the return to the E-File Transmission Table.
Transmit Electronic Returns
To e-file business returns, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select Business > Electronic Filing Menu > Transmit Electronic Return
You will see the Transmission Table listing all returns that have been marked for electronic filing and have been marked Complete. Several buttons are at the bottom of the Transmission Table:
- Add Client - Click this button to add a return to the transmission table. Adding a return in this way may need to be done if, for example, the IRS rejected the return, you have corrected the error, and now need to resubmit the return. Click Add Client, select the return(s) to be added, and click Done. If a client is missing from the list, either the return has not been marked for electronic filing or it has not been marked complete.
- Remove Client - Removing a client from the Transmission Table may be done if, for example, you realize at some point that a return you had previously marked complete needs further work. After clicking this button you will be asked if you would like to remove all the clients in the Transmission Table. Click YES to remove all or click NO to select the return(s) to remove. Returns deleted from the Transmission Table are still marked for e-file. They won't be transmitted this time, and after exiting the Transmission Table you will be asked if you wish for them to be pulled back into the Transmission Table again for the next time you transmit.
- Clear Filters - The Transmission Table can be filtered according to any of the columns by clicking the filter symbol in a column header. To see the complete table again, click Clear Filters.
- Print - Click Print to print the Transmission Table, either to your printer or to PDF depending on your printer configuration. You can choose which columns to include or exclude.
- Export - Click Export to create a CSV file of the returns listed in the Transmission Table. You can choose which columns to include or exclude.
- Cancel - Click Cancel to exit the Transmission Table without sending any returns.
- Transmit - Click Transmit to e-file the returns listed in the Transmission Table.
If the list of returns to be transmitted is correct, and you do not need to add or delete any returns, select Transmit.
The following screen will ask, Do You Want a Printed List of Clients to Send? We recommend that you always print this list as a confirmation showing what returns are going to be transmitted. You will be asked if the printed information is correct. If it is correct, select YES to proceed to the Connection Window. If the information is not correct, select NO to return to the Main Menu.
When the Connection Window appears, click Connect. In the window, you will see a description of each action taken through the transmission process. When prompted, click Exit.
You will receive the message that you have reports to print. We recommend that you print the transmission confirmation report. Returns are typically acknowledged by the IRS within 10-15 minutes.
NOTE: If you do not receive a transmission confirmation report, the TaxSlayer Pro secure servers DID NOT receive your transmission. You must send the transmission again. If any messages on the Connection Window appear to be out of the ordinary or indicative of a problem, contact Customer Support for assistance.
After returns are transmitted, if there are any acknowledgements from previous transmissions ready to be picked up, they will be sent to you. Otherwise, if you have no returns to transmit you will need to pick up acknowledgements separately. To receive acknowledgements, from the Business Main Menu of the program select Electronic Filing Menu > Receive Acknowledgements.
When the Connection Window appears, click Connect. After Acknowledgements are retrieved, click Exit.
You will receive a message indicating that you have reports to print. Click Print Reports. Items with double arrows beside them should be selected and printed. The IRS and State Acknowledgment report will display an acceptance or rejection code if the return was rejected. In most cases, an explanation of the reject code will be displayed as well.
The Print Reports menu in the Business Program is set up similar to the Individual Print Reports menu.
- Transmission Confirmation: Immediately after sending a transmission, you will be prompted to print a confirmation report of all returns you have just transmitted. Please print a copy of this confirmation. This is your verification that your returns have been received.
- IRS Acknowledgements: This report will notify you of which returns have been accepted by the IRS and which returns have been rejected. If a return has been rejected with a common reject, an explanation of the reject code will also be printed on the report.
- Returns Not Accepted: This is a good report to run periodically to ensure that all of your E-file returns have been accepted. If you have a return that has rejected and not been retransmitted, it will appear on this report. In the event that the return was later paper filed, you will have the option to remove it from the report.
Marking an Electronic Extension Request for Electronic Filing
In TaxSlayer Pro, creating an extension request requires the return to be started but including only the basic return information. The extension request form filed varies depending on the type of return:
- Form 7004 (1120, 1120S, 1065, 1041), found under the Miscellaneous menu.
- Form 8868 (990, 990-EZ, 990-PF), found under the Additional Forms and Schedules menu.
Once the extension information has been entered, two additional steps need to be taken so that it can be e-filed:
- In the Extension Menu, select Mark Extension Electronic.
- In the Electronic Extension E-file Menu, select Ready to Transmit, changing from NO to YES.
Once these two steps are completed, the extension will be added to the Extension Transmission Table.
Transmitting Electronic Extension Requests
When you are ready to transmit extension requests, from the Main Menu of TaxSlayer Pro select:
Business > Electronic Filing Menu > Transmit Electronic Extensions/Estimates
Extensions that have been marked for electronic filing and marked that they are ready to transmit will appear in the Transmission Table. To transmit them, click Transmit.
You will be asked if you want a printed list of clients selected to be sent. We recommend that you print this report for your records. Review the report for accuracy. You will be asked if the information is correct. If it is correct, click YES to proceed to the Connection Window. If not, click NO.
At the Connection Window, click Connect to transmit the extensions. The extension requests will be transmitted, and when you are prompted to exit the window, click Exit.
A message will display indicating that you have reports to print. We recommend that you print the transmission confirmation report at this time. Extensions are typically acknowledged by the IRS within 10-15 minutes.